Tuesday 12 October 2010

A Life in the day of a 24hr Marshall.
















Well - that's what I will call it when I tell it proper. Meanwhile, rest assured, it may not involve riding round and round the forest in long hours of darkness, but it does involve a certain amount of endurance. There was an early role reversal when I was gathering wood and sawing it up, when the competitors who found me still doing it on their 3rd lap, started to encourage me with shouts of "well done!" I found myself glowing in their praise until I remembered that I was meant to be encouraging THEM.
Thankfully my fellow campers turned up and took over along with a string of supportive visitors. Ted (spaniel)'s mistress brought a collection of Muriel Gray essays to spice up my stay in the forest and to make up for not getting my Sunday Herald. I haven't quite got them read Siobhan, but I will.
It was a very glorious weekend of weather, but as you can see from the photos, the sun shone all around our spot, but never on us. There was a cold wind blowin around us the whole time and it was a shock to come back to Nevis Range the next day to find summer temperatures. But we were warmed by our brazier and a non-stop selection of music from Bruce Springstein to Hooked on Classics. A wee dram or two of whiskly helped some of us to relax. We all managed a sleep through some of the night despite the noise, and everyone only woke up when I turned off the music and the generator, some time after sun rise (rising everywhere else in the forest obviously, but not on us.)
We are all really tired now (esp. Finn who spent the day out on the hills around Pitlochry today looking for a stag. He was amazed at how you searched a hillside the way you might search through your drawers, going over the same bits again and again, but covering bigger distances.)
We have to get up in under 2hrs to catch the plane to Fuerteventura where we will play bingo and take part in quizzes and talent shows and play water polo............photos will be taken.

No comments: